The Ottershaw Surgery

Bookmark and Share

BBC | Health News
2.0RSSBBC News | Health | UK EditionUpdated every minute of every day.Cameron announces seven-day GP serviceGPs in England are to be offered a voluntary contract to provide seven-day-a-week cover for patients, David Cameron announces.Sun, 04 Oct 2015 11:41:28 GMT reassured over safety of Essure implantUK regulators reassure women the permanent birth control implant Essure is safe despite concerns in the US.Sat, 03 Oct 2015 23:13:45 GMT steroids 'could stunt growth'Young children given asthma medication before the age of two may not grow to their full height in later life, a preliminary report suggests.Sat, 03 Oct 2015 01:53:58 GMT

How Do I...

Make An Appointment Online?

You can book appointments online, saving you time on the phone. Ask at reception for your password to access the system.

Online Appointments & Prescriptions

You can book appointments online, saving you time on the phone. You can also order repeat prescriptions over the web. Ask at reception for your password to access the system.


Wasted Appointments

Every week at least two whole surgeries of GP appointments are wasted by people not turning up to appointments they have booked. If you can not keep your appointment please let us know - even with 10 minutes notice we can offer it to somebody else.

Obtain Telephone Advice And Test Results?

If you need to speak to a doctor, but you don't think you need to come into the surgery, you can ask for a telephone consultation. One of our doctors will call you back at a convenient time.

If we have asked you to come in for a medication review and you're struggling to find the time, why not book a telephone consultation.

Doctors are normally available for advice ONLY after morning surgery (11.45am - 12.00pm) or before afternoon surgery (3.00 - 3.15pm).

Nurses are available for advice only 12.30 - 1.00pm and 4.00 - 4.20pm.

Results of tests can be obtained by phoning the surgery at a less busy times.

Change My Details?

If you change your name, address or telephone number, please inform us immediately. A change of address may mean you are out of the practice area and you will be informed accordingly.

Congratulations if you have recently given up smoking; please let us know and we can update our records.

Obtain A Home Visit?

Patients are requested to telephone before 10.30am if a visit is required that day. Medically urgent visits only will be arranged after that time. Please give the receptionist as much information as possible to enable the doctor to allocate priority to house calls. Please remember that several patients can be seen at the surgery in the time it takes to do a home visit, and that we have better facilities at the surgery to assess your problem. Home visits are for people who are truly housebound or whose medical condition means they are too ill to travel.

Obtain a Sick Certificates

You only need a doctor’s note if you are unable to work and are ill for longer than seven calendar days. Your employer will provide you with an SC2 self-certificate form for shorter periods of illness. The form is also available at the front reception desk or to download below:

SC2 - Statutory Sick Pay Self Sertificate (.pdf)

What to do next

  • Give your completed form to your employer. It will help them to decide if you can get SSP.
  • Keep a copy for your own information.

If you can get SSP, your employer will pay you in the same way they usually pay your wages. If you cannot get SSP, your employer must give you form SSP1 to tell you why. You can use form SSP1 to support a claim for Employment and Support Allowance.

If you disagree with your employer’s decision and you have also looked at the further information on the HMRC website, you can ask HM Revenue & Customs for a decision about your entitlement. You must do this within six months of the first day that you are notified of your employer’s decision. Phone our Dispute Team on 0191 225 5221.

Other help while you are sick

  • You can get more information about other help while you are sick in leaflet DWP1026 Help if you’re ill or disabled. The leaflet is also available at any Jobcentre Plus office, most advice centres like the Citizens Advice Bureau,any post office (except in Northern Ireland), or on
  • If you do not have much money coming in while you are sick, you may be able to get a Social Security benefit. You should contact any Jobcentre Plus office or, go to You can also phone the Benefit Enquiry Line for people with disabilities. The phone call is free. The number is 0800 882 200 or in Northern Ireland 0800 220 674. If you have any problems with hearing or speaking and use a textphone, phone 0800 243 355. The phone call is free.
    If you do not have your own textphone system, they are available to use at the Citizens Advice Bureau and main libraries.
  • If you want to know more about SSP go to